- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and seasonings. In a saucepan, heat milk and shortening to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Beat in egg until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Tender Herb Dinner Rolls
Sort By :
WILL NEVER MAKE AGAIN!!!!
I'd like to share a tip when making these rolls. After shaping dough into balls, rather than putting on baking sheet(s), place in greased 13x9x2" pan to rise. Mine take about 35-40 minutes to rise, then I just pop in oven and bake. We enjoy them right out of the oven, spread with butter.
These rolls are outstanding!!