I always make these delicately flavored muffins for the holidays. With tart ruby cranberries peeking out and a sugar-and-spice topping, they don't last long.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Fold in sour cream. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; stir into the creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in sour cream. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; stir into the creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in cranberries. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two thirds full. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Muffins in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p13
Reviews for Tender Cranberry Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2015
"I have made these often and then lost the recipe. Searched on line until I found this one and said "yes, this is the one, because it has you folding in the sour cream in 2 different places in the recipe". This really needs to be corrected."