Tender Brown Sugar Muffins
"This is one of my favorite muffin recipes because it goes with anything," says Marian Smith of Sandy, Utah. The sweet treats have a crusty top and tender cake-like interior, so they're good for breakfast or as a snack.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add egg, milk and
- vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture just
- until combined. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups
- three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until a
- toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from
- pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 238 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 226 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.