Tender Beef Brisket
A touch of sugar mellows the flavorful sauce that's drizzled over this brisket. "The original recipe came to me from a friend," says Sondra Morrow, Mesa, Arizona. "I revised it for the slow cooker."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds), trimmed and cut in half
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the brisket in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the
- remaining ingredients. Pour over brisket. Cover and cook on low for
- 6 hours or until tender.
- Remove the beef; set aside. Pour the sauce into a saucepan; cook,
- uncovered, over low heat for 13-15 minutes or until reduced and
- thickened, stirring occasionally. Slice the meat across the grain;
- serve with sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 253 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 464 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a