"I grew up eating pot roast but disliked it until I go this recipe at a church social and changed a few ingredients," shares Patricia Gasmund of Rockford, Illinois. "My 7-year-old especially enjoys the seasoned 'apple gravy'."
- 1 beef top round roast (4 pounds) , halved
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, brown roast on all sides over medium-high heat. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the juice, tomato sauce, onion, vinegar, salt, cinnamon and ginger; pour over roast. Cover and cook on high for 5-7 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices until well combined. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until the meat is tender and gravy begins to thicken. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Bavarian Pot Roast in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p19
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Tender Bavarian Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review