Tender Barbecued Chicken
"I'm a teacher and work most of the day, so slow-cooked meals are a great help," relates Jacqueline Blanton from Gaffney, South Carolina. One of her family's favorites is this moist slow-simmered chicken. For an appealing look, choose a darker brown barbecue sauce.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup cola
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil in batches. Transfer to a
- 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with onion and lemon slices. Combine barbecue
- sauce and cola; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with K.C. Masterpiece brand barbecue sauce.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 355 calories, 18 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 771 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.