Tempting Tomato Cups Recipe
"For as long as I can remember, I've eaten this pretty salad in the summer when fresh tomatoes are so good," recalls Carla Browning of Fort Walton Beach, Florida. "Brimming with a crunchy filling, it makes a wonderful light lunch or can replace a green salad at dinner."
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Sliced ripe olives, optional
- Cut a thin slice from the top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/4-in.-thick shell, scoop out pulp (discard pulp or save for another use). Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, celery, green pepper, onion, mayonnaise, garlic salt if desired and pepper; mix well. Spoon into tomatoes. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with olives if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Tempting Tomato Cups in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p10
Reviews for Tempting Tomato Cups
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2012
"Great combination of flavors! Especially good with tomatoes fresh from the garden."