Tempting Teriyaki Chicken Stew Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken on both sides. Place vegetables in a 4-qt. slow cooker; add chicken. In a small bowl, mix the preserves, maple syrup, teriyaki sauce, ginger and cayenne; pour over chicken.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and vegetables to a platter; keep warm.
- 3. Transfer cooking liquid to a small saucepan. Skim fat. Bring cooking liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Tempting Teriyaki Chicken Stew
"Unfortunately there is no flavor in this dish other than "sugar"! And I am a person who normally likes sweet dishes. It was an expensive waste of real maple syrup."
"Wonderful! Just wish they'd included nutritional info so I could adjust my diet/eating accordingly."
"This is way too sweet for me. As for my husband, he made no comment. So I don't think I would use this recipe again."
"I threw everything in over my 30 min. lunch break so I skipped browning the thighs. I substituted the 1/2 cup syrup for 1/2 cup honey. I also used Wondra flour instead of cornstarch to avoid the "gloopy" gravy texture.It had A LOT of flavor. I'll probably serve this over rice or noodles next time."
"Really easy, with ingredients I usually have in my kitchen. It was a bit salty for our taste, but I think a low sodium teryaki sauce would do the trick."
"This is my husband's new favorite. We think it has outstanding flavor and it easy to make."
"Did not make the grade with my family."
"I was in a hurry, so I browned the chicken breasts, cut them in bite size pieces and then cooked it all on the stove top in the Dutch oven in about 20 minutes. It was fabulous!"