- star anise, cinnamon stick and five-spice powder; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for
- 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads
- 180°, turning chicken once. Remove chicken; discard cooking
- Line the bottom of a clean stockpot with a double thickness of foil.
- Sprinkle the rice, tea leaves and brown sugar over foil; place a
- wire rack over rice mixture. Place chicken on rack breast side up.
- Cook over low heat until rice mixture begins to smoke. Cover pot
- tightly with foil; place lid on top. Smoke for 25-30 minutes or
- until chicken is golden brown.
- Remove chicken; brush with sesame oil. Let stand 15 minutes before
- carving. Chicken may also be served cold. To serve cold, cool
- chicken slightly; cover and refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 6
Editor's Note: Look for Sichuan or Szechuan peppercorns in Asian markets or visit penzeys.com.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.