- 3/4 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen Tater Tots
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the soup, beans, corn, 1 cup cheese, milk, garlic powder, seasoned salt and cayenne. Transfer to two greased 11x7-in. baking dishes. Top with Tater Tots; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Tater Tot Casseroles
"My husband loved this! I used white cheddar (I don't used foods colored with Annatto) and frozen corn and frozen peas, thawed (instead of canned corn and frozen green beans). My grown sons each took home half a casserole. A definite keeper!"
"Fantastic, freezes well and lends itself to easy adaptations with different spices."
"This was great! I made a couple of changes as well. Instead of cayenne pepper, I used pepper jack cheese. We don't like frozen beans so I used 1 can whole kernal corn, 1 cream style and a large can of mushrooms. Yum! Thank you for a really good new favorite."
"Great flavor and easy!"
"Made this a few nights ago delicious! My brother said it was the best tater tot casserole he'd ever had before."
"Yum! I used all sweet Italian sausage and it was very flavorful. I just had to squeeze it out of its casings. I also used frozen corn (thawed) & skim milk and that worked fine.~ Theresa"
"The type of Tater Tot you use could add liquid to your casserole, I used to really like the ones from a home delivery service but the last batch I had were really greasy."
"Too much liquid, probably coming form the sauted meats. Will drain it better next time. Definitely use the hot italian bulk sausage for some zing, or you'll end up with bland."