- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 envelopes sloppy joe mix
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 6 cups frozen Tater Tots
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and sloppy joe mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until thickened. Add tomato paste; stir until blended. Add green beans and mushrooms.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with Tater Tots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Tater Beef Bake
Sort By :
"Made this last night and my entire family loved it! Easy to prepare, and very filling. I made two changes: I added 1 cup of cheese (in addition to the cup that goes on top of the tater tots in last 10 minutes of baking time) to the beef mixture just before putting it into the pan to bake, and I baked it on 375 (so that I could bake it at the same time I baked "Cracked Pepper Cheddar Muffins" - another Taste of Home recipe that can be found on this site). Other than that, I made this exactly as directed. Everyone in my family loved the savory flavor, hearty texture, and overall look of it. The tater tots were nice and crispy, and the green beans were fully cooked without being "mushy" or making the casserole watery. I love it that you don't have to thaw the green beans beforehand. Thank you , Taste of Home, for this great family casserole recipe!! HELPFUL TIP: I found that the 3-1/2 c. frozen cut green beans equals 1 16-oz bag, and the 6 cups of frozen tater tots equals 1 32-oz bag. Also - this can be made using potato "crowns" (similar to tater tots, but flatter) in lieu of tater tots."
"The tots were mushy. The greenbeans did not work for me."
"I used a can of sloppy joe mix and canned peas.Also only had french fries so just used them. I did not have any leftovers! Great meal!!"
"It did not take much effort to make this dish but it came out pretty good, only con was way too many green beans, and since they were frozen they came out too crunchy. Next time I think i'll try canned beans rather than frozen."