- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, butter, wheat germ, salt and 4 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four pieces. Shape into loaves. Place in four greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans or on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Tasty Whole Wheat Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p40
Reviews for Tasty Whole Wheat Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review