Tasty White Bread Recipe
"It's worth the time making this bread just to fill the house with the heavenly aroma as it bakes," remarks Angel Olvey of Kokoma, Indiana. "But eating a thick slice is even better."
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/4 cup water; let stand for 10 minutes. Combine salt, remaining sugar and water; add to yeast mixture. Add 3 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; shape into two loaves. Place in two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans that have coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (32 slices).
One slice equals 87 calories, 0.55 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC