Tasty White Bread
"It's worth the time making this bread just to fill the house with the heavenly aroma as it bakes," remarks Angel Olvey of Kokoma, Indiana. "But eating a thick slice is even better."
32 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/4 cup
- water; let stand for 10 minutes. Combine salt, remaining sugar and
- water; add to yeast mixture. Add 3 cups of flour; beat until
- smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto
- a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8
- minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into two loaves. Place in two 8-in. x 4-in.
- loaf pans that have coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise
- until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (32
Nutritional Facts: One slice equals 87 calories, 0.55 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.