Tasty White Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/4 cup water; let stand for 10 minutes. Combine salt, remaining sugar and water; add to yeast mixture. Add 3 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; shape into two loaves. Place in two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans that have coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (32 slices).
1 slice: 87 calories, 0.550g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch
Reviews for Tasty White Bread
"Came out perfect!!!!! My family loved this! Not sure why the previous reviewer had a dense bread, mine came out with a soft texture (maybe too much flour? Add only what you need and as you're kneading it, add flour to the table surface for the dough to "soak up" as you go). I plan on making another batch today and during the second rise, roll out to rectangle shape, sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar and add raisins, roll up "jelly roll" style and place in greased loaf pan with seam down to rise and then bake...then I'll have one white and one cinn/raisin bread to choose for breakfast!! Also, brushing with egg wash (water and one egg whipped up together) just prior to baking makes for a nice brown crust."
"This was ok. it's a very dense bread. not soft like what you buy from the store. the taste wasn't bad."