- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/4 cup water; let stand for 10 minutes. Combine salt, remaining sugar and water; add to yeast mixture. Add 3 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; shape into two loaves. Place in two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans that have coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (32 slices).
Originally published as Tasty White Bread in Taste of Home December/January 1998, p17
Reviews for Tasty White Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 14, 2011
This was ok. it's a very dense bread. not soft like what you buy from the store. the taste wasn't bad.