Tasty Tuna Steaks
Low-carb fans will love this easy tuna recipe created by our Test Kitchen. Marinated in red wine, soy sauce, ginger and garlic, these steaks are quick to fix and, you guessed it, low in carbohydrates. TIP: Asian vegetables or steamed broccoli florets are excellent on the side.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tuna steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the wine, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Pour
- into a large resealable plastic bag; add the tuna steaks and bay
- leaf. Seal bag and turn to coat; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Drain and discard marinade and bay leaf. In a large skillet, cook
- tuna in oil over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes on each side for
- medium-rare or until slightly pink in the center. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 steak equals 224 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 366 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 40 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.