Tasty Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/3 cups crushed baked tortilla chip scoops
- 7 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and green onions in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, oregano, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add chicken and cilantro; heat through.
- 3. For each serving, place 2 tablespoons chips in a soup bowl. Top with 1-1/2 cups soup. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon each of cheese and chips. Yield: 7 servings.
1 each: 256 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Tasty Tortilla Soup
"Yum, delicious! I omitted the green onions and used only 1/2 onion. I used regular items rather than reduced sodium, added a little chili powder for a bit of spice, and instead of broth, I used chicken base and water. Next time, I might add some corn and black beans to make it chunkier."
"This is one of my family's favorite recipes. This is one of the most simple recipes and so good. I buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grogery store and take meat off the bone in order to save time. We add lots of avocado, cheese and tortilla strips."
"Delicious and very easy to put together!"
"Great recipe but needed more heat...added some cayenne and jalapenos. Perfect!"
"DH and I loved this! So did my daughter! So easy and so good. Not spicy at all, but it had great flavor."
"Meant NOT spicy"
"Not sure how you could not think this is spicy. I should have tasted it as I went along I guess. Three people eating it and we all could not finish it."
"I was a little skeptical at first, but this is delicious! Not spicy at all, which is good for me. I put the cooked chicken in while it simmered though, and the results were great."
"This is, hands down, the best tortilla soup I have ever made (counting light and regular recipes). Wonderful."