Play with this tortilla soup recipe a bit to find ingredients that match your own personal tastes. You can use packaged Mesquite flavored chicken, add more tomatoes and onions, or even get creative with the cheeses. —Jennifer Giles, Des Moines, Iowa
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/3 cups crushed baked tortilla chip scoops
- 7 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and green onions in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, oregano, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add chicken and cilantro; heat through.
- For each serving, place 2 tablespoons chips in a soup bowl. Top with 1-1/2 cups soup. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon each of cheese and chips. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Tasty Tortilla Soup in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008, p33
Reviews for Tasty Tortilla Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review