Tasty Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 taco shells, warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced green onions and shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Spoon beef mixture into taco shells. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
2 tacos (calculated without optional toppings) equals 306 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 468 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.