Tasty Sloppy Joes
These sandwiches have been a hit with my family from the first time I served them years ago. They make a quick hearty meal along with soup or a salad. I like to make a large batch and freeze the leftovers.
-Pauline Schrock, Sullivan, Illinois
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 10 sandwich buns, split
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, milk, oats,
- onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until meat is no longer
- pink. Transfer to an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Combine the
- ketchup, water, vinegar and sugar; pour over meat mixture. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup into each bun. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 391 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 1,058 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.