Tasty Meat Pie
I work full-time as a nurse, so I like meals that are quick and easy. This comforting all-in-one pie is filled with ground beef and tender vegetables. At my sister's suggestion, I replaced the prepared gravy I had been using with canned soups for better flavor. Now my husband and teenage son ask for seconds and thirds.
-Cheryl Cattane, Lapeer, Michigan
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (11 ounces) condensed beef with vegetables and barley soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed golden mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3 medium uncooked potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink;
- drain. Add the soups, potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Divide between two ungreased 9-in. pie plates.
- On a floured surface, roll pastry to fit the top of each pie; place
- over filling. Seal and flute edges; cut slits in top.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand
- on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 pies (6
- serving each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 305 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 598 mg sodium,