- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (11 ounces) condensed beef with vegetables and barley soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed golden mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3 medium uncooked potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the soups, potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper; mix well. Divide between two ungreased 9-in. pie plates.
- On a floured surface, roll pastry to fit the top of each pie; place over filling. Seal and flute edges; cut slits in top.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 pies (6 serving each).
Reviews for Tasty Meat Pie
"why is there not a crust on the bottom of the pie. Doesn't it spill all over when serving without one? I'm going to make this is a little while but will be putting a bottom crust on it."
"I taught my Webelos scouts how to make this and then we invited their Families over for dinner. It was a big hit! We made 6 large pies and not any of it was left over. The boys were very proud of their accomplishment. I did notice that my name brand Beef Barley with Vegetable Soup was rather "dry". It looked like the barley had soaked up the liquid in the can so I added a half of a soup can of water to it and it came out just fine. On other occasions the same soup brand has been "wet" enough to not need the extra water. I guess it has something to do with the day the soup was processed on."
"I used Cream of Mushroom/chicken soup in place of the Golden Mushroom and I added more veggies and potatoes. Our new favorite!!! Very tasty and just as good as left overs. I already have this added to my routation of easy meals!"
"this is good down home style food.My flaky pie crust is the key answer to the goodness of this pie.Iam a firm beleiver that an excellent pie crust is the answer for any good pie."
"I added corn and green beans as I wanted to add more veggies/ was very tasty, I am not fond of this kind of food, but will be making this one again!"
"My family loved this recipe! I've made it at least 3 times already."
"It was too dry, it needed something else for moisture. The picture shows sauce in the bottom of the pan, but mine was totally dry. Also, it really had no flavor what so ever."
"Made this for dinner tonight. From the sounds of the recipe I thought it might be bland and boring...but it was really quite good!"