I've lived in Maryland for more than 50 years, so I know firsthand how much folks around here love crab cakes. I experimented with a number recipes and came up with this one. My family really likes it.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound cooked crabmeat or 3 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first eight ingredients. Fold in crab.
- Place the bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Drop 1/3 cup crab mixture into crumbs; shape into a 3/4-in. thick patty. Carefully turn to coat. Repeat with remaining crab mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook patties in butter for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 6 patties.
Originally published as Maryland Crab Cakes in Country February/March 1999, p49
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Tasty Maryland Crab Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review