Tasty Lentil Tacos Recipe
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 12 taco shells
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- 2. Uncover; cook for 6-8 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Mash lentils slightly. Stir in salsa.
- 3. Spoon about 1/4 cup lentil mixture into each taco shell. Top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
2 tacos equals 361 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 874 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Tasty Lentil Tacos
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.