- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash each dried thyme, basil and oregano
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, lentils and barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils and barley are almost tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Lentil Soup in Country Woman October/November 2007, p24
Reviews for Tasty Lentil Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review