- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash each dried thyme, basil and oregano
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, lentils and barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils and barley are almost tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Lentil Soup in Country Woman October/November 2007, p24
Reviews for Tasty Lentil Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 12, 2014
"This recipe was excellent, the only addition would be a little salt since everything is low sodium."