The recipe for this yummy lemon pie comes from my grandmother. It's a lovely, special dessert that feels like "home."—Merle Dyck, Elkford, British Columbia
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches), baked
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, peel and butter until butter is melted. Set aside and keep warm.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Pour filling into crust. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Meringue Pie in Taste of Home December/January 2008, p34
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Tasty Lemon Meringue Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review