- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches), baked
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, peel and butter until butter is melted. Set aside and keep warm.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Pour filling into crust. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Tasty Lemon Meringue Pie
Sort By :
Eliska, you can make your own crust recipe, or they make refrigerated crust doughs as well. You can usually find those in tubes near the tubes of biscuits and crescent rolls. Most come with 2 sets of dough in case you are making a pie that has a crust on top as well as on bottom. Hope this helps.
I would really like to try this recipe. But I don't really understand how I am supposed to make the crust. Can somebody please help me? Thank you
The reason I tried this recipe was because it didn't have a lot of sugar like most other lemon pies I tried this recipe at least 4 times thinking it was just something I was doing wrong each & every time it would not set up, always runny. I even talked with taste of home specialists & they agreed not enough sugar to the water it calls for. very disappointed. good taste, not too sweet, but just won't set up..
This recipe does NOT call for enough thickener, egg yolks and calls for 1/2 cup too much water...which means it does not thicken properly. What a waste of time!! Now I have to start all over again
This is a really good recipe for sure. I don't like really tart lemon meringue pie's so this is good because it's more tame on the tart. But I would have to say it needs to be bigger because it is not enough filling for a large pie crust. But flavor is yummy for sure.