Tasty French Onion Soup Recipe
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 6 cups beef broth
- 8 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, sugar and pepper in oil until onions are softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until onions are a deep golden brown. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of French bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Tasty French Onion Soup(6)
Sort By :
Very flavorful easy to make soup. I didn't use oil though. I substituted 3 T of butter instead. I added a splash of red wine and sautéed the onions with a T spoon of minced garlic. What a brilliant, rich flavor. I added it to my favorites. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
My go to french onion soup. Like other readers I don't use the full amount of oil. My husband works outside all the time so in the winter it gets requested a lot.
I love this soup. I've never made french onion soup before, but always order it when I'm out at a restaurant. I was surprised how simple the process was and that I was able to replicate this tasty soup in my home.
The only recipe I use, and my husbands favorite! I just eye-ball the oil though, 1/3 cup is way to much.
very easy and awesome