When my husband asked me to make this soup for a dinner at church, I prepared a huge pot and counted on having some left for us. But he came home with an empty pan and many requests for the recipe!—Lise Thomson, Magrath, Alberta
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 6 cups beef broth
- 8 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, sugar and pepper in oil until onions are softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until onions are a deep golden brown. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of French bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as French Onion Soup in Taste of Home December/January 2001, p6
Reviews for Tasty French Onion Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review