Tasty French Onion Soup Recipe
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 6 cups beef broth
- 8 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, sugar and pepper in oil until onions are softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until onions are a deep golden brown. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of French bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Tasty French Onion Soup
Sort By :
"I made it as written, and after tasting couldn't resist adding a little wine and browning sauce. Delicious."
"The flavor of this was very good. I did NOT top the bowls of soup with the bread and cheese and broil. We do not like soggy bread. I toasted the bread and served it on the side with a salad. I did top the soup with a bit of Parmesan cheese. I will make again. And I agree with others about the oil being way to much. A tiny bit of oil of your choice is more then enough. Add a no more then a Tbsp. of real butter for flavor if you chose. Cook the onions nice and slow. I like the idea of adding a bit of garlic in it. Will try that next time."
"Easy and delicious! 1/3 cup of oil is way too much, as other reviewers have said. I used a couple turns of the pan of grapeseed oil, allergic to olives, and a small pat of butter for flavor. I also cut back sodium content with homemade stock. Otherwise, fantastic!*** Note ~ Make sure you follow the directions from the manufacturer for using your crocks/ramekins in broiler. Do NOT use a normal cereal bowl. Most crocks/ramekins say to make sure bowl is already warmed up before broiling. If you just use any bowl and preheat you risk bowls breaking, burning yourself when they do if they don't break in oven, and loss of this labour of love!"
"Very flavorful easy to make soup. I didn't use oil though. I substituted 3 T of butter instead. I added a splash of red wine and sautéed the onions with a T spoon of minced garlic. What a brilliant, rich flavor. I added it to my favorites. Thanks for sharing your recipe."