Tasty Chicken Noodle Casserole Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) egg noodles
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 12 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup finely crushed cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large skillet, saute the red pepper, onion and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add mushrooms; cook 2-3 minutes or until tender. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- 2. Add flour to the skillet; stir until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Gradually stir in cream. Add the cream cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, salt, noodles, vegetables and cheese sauce. Transfer to two ungreased shallow 3-qt. baking dishes.
- 4. Combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (8-10 servings each).
1 cup: 399 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Tasty Chicken Noodle Casserole
"I think 12 cups of chicken is about 6 times too much! Typo?"
"My 4 year old and I enjoyed this, picky 7 year old was not so keen, but he did eat it. I cut the recipe in half, except that I made the full amount of pasta and veggies. The cheese sauce could probably have used some other kind of cheese, I might add mozzarella or parm next time."
"I enjoyed this recipe. Although I'm sure there is a typo in it. 2 cups of chicken is enough."
"This is tasy but I didn't realize how much it made....I had to freeze some in singles sized ramekins. It's lots of prep work so it's not a weeknight venture."
"I followed the recipe except that I added some frozen peas. I cut the recipe in half and still had enough left over to freeze for another two meals. We both thought it was very good, and I think it was even better the next day."
"Very easy to make and was a hit. Def. needs the salt I usually do not put salt in dishes I make. I used Fettuccine Noodles because those are my favorite and I think next time I am going to add a little hot sauce."
"Great recipe! I left out the mushrooms, we don't care for them..and I halved the recipe and it still made tons! Yum, leftovers. Next time i will add more veggies like broccoli."
"EXCELLENT! I used cans of cooked chicken to cut my prep time and substituted panko bread crumbs for the cornflakes in the topping and it gave it a little extra cruch. I did cut the recipe in half and it still be a huge amount! It is wonderful for leftovers though and I would absolutely make again!"
"We enjoyed this; it was great comfort food for a cold Winter night. I cut the recipe in half to make just one casserole. Next time, though, I think I'll add more mushrooms and maybe double up on the veggies. (NOTE: We found the cornflake topping to be surprisingly flavorful thanks to the paprika and fresh parsley; it stayed much crunchier than breadcrumb toppings often do.)"
"this was a grate dish for a church dinner"
"Forgot to mention, instead of salt, use Mrs. Dash to season!!"
"Halving recipe is no problem but suggest no yolk noodles, unsalted butter and broth, no fat milk instead of half and half, and of course, nechtafel or 1/3 less fat cream cheese. Poach chicken breasts in lo sodium borth and then cut up. These changes will make this more friendly to those of us with health concerns."
"I made this last night after seeing the recipe and the reviews. I made a couple slight changes, to accomodate my picky husband, and it was fabulous. He loved it! I cut the cream cheese in half, and added a cup of cheddar cheese to the sauce. Omitted mushrooms, even though I love them, and before I put the cornflake topping on, I sprinkled with another cup of cheddar cheese. It was delicious, and I will be making it again very soon!"
"Couldent stop eating it."
"It was ALOT of prep work and I didnt realize that it makes TWO..so i thought it was just so so"
"Does this recipe really need 12 cups of chicken? That seems like a lot, even for 2 casseroles."
"I'm guessing 12 cups, although I never made it. After all, it's 2 casserole dishes."
"12 cups of chicken??? or 2 cups???"
"Does this receipe really use 12 cups of cooked chicken?"
"Excellent meal on a cold winter night! I will definitely be adding this to my regular repertoire."
"The whole family loved it! Didn't have any paprika on hand, but I don't think it mattered. I don't even think anyone added salt or pepper to their meal."
"I have made some variations as well that work too....try using grated cheddar cheese, about 1 C in lieu of cream cheese. You can use sour cream if you do not have Half'n'Half, you can use 2 Tbsp of dried minced onion in lieu of an onion, and 1 Tbsp of Beau Monde if you do not have fresh celery. I use fresh ground pepper as well, and have used and not used paprika with good results."
"Tried this recipte. I was told it was good, but it lacked something to me. I will try one more time using something to spice it up."
"Very good!!! I was really impressed. Great for pot lucks, or to freeze one for later :)"
"Love this recipe! My co-workers love when I make this so they can eat the left overs!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.