Tasty Cherry Meringue Dessert
—Roberta Moellenberg, Idalia, Colorado
15 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 can (20 ounces) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for
- 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and vanilla; beat on medium speed
- until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a
- time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish. Bake at 275° for 1 hour; turn oven off (do not open
- door). Let meringue cool in oven for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, spread with whipped topping and top with pie
- filling. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 108 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 18 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.