- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1-1/4 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 6 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup sour cream, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the stuffing cubes, poultry seasoning and sage. Stir in broth and celery mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In another large bowl, combine the turkey, soup, garlic powder and 1/4 cup sour cream; spoon over stuffing mixture. Drain potatoes; mash in a large bowl. Beat in the cream cheese, pepper, salt and remaining sour cream; spread over turkey mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Tastes Like Thanksgiving Casserole
"Really delicious but very heavy."
"I made this tonight far dinner, loved it. I used mashed sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes and stuffing mix. Next time I may add some veggies."
"Delish! The whole family loved it! We added a can of English peas but everything else was the same."
"I assembled and froze this last November using my Thanksgiving leftovers. It was a real treat to defrost and bake on a blustery April day! I divided it approximately in half and used an 8 x 8 square pan, I would say that size serves 4-5. I even had a can of cranberry sauce in the pantry. The only thing I feel it needs is some kind of vegetable layer. Next time I will make sure to save some green bean casserole or carrots to add to it. Other than that it's perfect!"
"My family and I loved this casserole. I will make again."
"FABULOUS! I too used a box of stuffing, didn't make the stuffing, just dumped it into the bowl and added the sage and poultry seasoning and then the broth, etc. And I did use the leftover mashed potatoes from yesterday's meal, adding the cream cheese, sour cream, etc; as written. It makes a LOT, so next time I will cut everything in half, or make two smaller casseroles, one to eat and one to freeze. But this is my new go to recipe from now on!"
"Absolutely a big winner in our family! This dish is delicious!!"