Taste-of-Fall Salad Recipe
- 2/3 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large heavy skillet, cook the pecans, 2 tablespoons vinegar, cayenne and cinnamon over medium heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- 2. Place salad greens in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, mustard, salt and remaining vinegar and sugar; drizzle over greens and toss to coat. Arrange the greens, pear slices and pecans on six salad plates. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 228 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Taste-of-Fall Salad
"LOVED this salad!! So many textures and flavors, and the pears were a nice addition, something different. The cayenne pepper added to the pecans was not spicy at all...gave them a burst of flavor. For sure a keeper!!!"
"Every time we serve this salad to our guests, they request the recipe. Great flavor and wonderful texture."
"This is a wonderful tasting salad...one that is asked for again and again!!"
"Lovely recipe. I used maple syrup in the dressing in place of the sugar but other than that made as is. Got rave reviews when I took it to a celebration lunch. The birthday boy doesn't like fruit/veg but he ate this one!"
"I thought the salad dressing was very bland until midway through eating it, then I remembered I hadn't added all the ingredients. The final half was delicious."
"excellent! excellent! excellent!"
"I substituted Honey Crisp apples for the pears as I won't eat pears. It was delicious; a definite "keeper"."
"I have made this salad on several occassions.Everytime I make it their is nothing left and I am asked for the recipe."
"I truly love this recipe, and make it as often as I can. However, since the pecans turned out with such a strong balsamic vinegar flavor, I usually omit that part of the recipe. Instead, I add raw pecans or walnuts and it turns out just great. The salad dressing is just superb and I haven't changed a thing. Even those who usually dislike the flavor of balsamic vinegar greatly enjoy this salad."
"Delicious! Easy to make. I prepare the sauce and the pecans the previous day so it is a snap to arrange in plates when company has arrived. I served it twice to different groups and I received rave reviews. Everyone wants the recipe. I'll make it again for sure.Bon appétit!Dolores"
"Delicious way to start off the Fall time. I served at a dinner party and it was a big hit!"
"It was a great salad! I would give it 4 1/2 stars!"
"Excellent salad. Delicious!"
"I made this yesterday. Very good! Family liked it a lot. I'll make this again."