Tart Orange Gelatin Salad Recipe
- 2 packages (.3 ounce each) sugar-free orange gelatin
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin and sugar substitute in boiling water. Stir in orange juice concentrate and cold water. Add pineapple and oranges; mix well. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish; refrigerate until set.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Add lemon peel; mix well. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in whipped topping; spread over gelatin. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 12 servings.
One piece equals 99 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Reviews for Tart Orange Gelatin Salad
"Sooo good. I made it twice in one week!"
"I made this with regular jello,cool whip and sugar.It was a huge success,and several people asked for the recipe.I grated fresh orange peel on top.I will definately make it again."
"I made this instead of a birthday cake for the local Seniors. They loved it!! Nice and cool in this 95 degree heat. Will definitely make again!"
"Really good. The family loved it. When I use sugar free products they usually complain about an aftertaste. I didn't tell them it was low cal and they didn't notice. I didn't have any lemon peel so I didn't include it. Will definately make again."
"Delicious. Usually not a huge fan of orange jello but this combination is awesome!"
"I like to make things ahead and this one I could that with."
"Great recipe, very easy to make. It has a nice depth of flavors. The only change I made was that I used white chocolate pudding instead of vanilla. It was a hit at a potluck supper."
"Very cool, refreshing, and easy to make. A hit in our house where jello isnt usually served. This would make a nice dish to take to a potluck. Just to be sure it's set up right, I'd make it the night before. I accidently used sugar free lemon pudding mix instead of vanilla but it was really delicious, just the same."
"My Mom came for a visit and is sugar restricted. I was excited this came out this week so I could have something new to try that she could have. THIS IS AWESOME. I am not sugar restricted and I loved it... will make again!"
"Great fast and healthy, no that sweet, you may add apples, too"
"This is a great recipe especially for someone who is on a diabetic diet. The only thing I would do different is use crushed pineapple or leave the pineapple out because the chunks/tidbits are difficult to eat."
"So refreshing on a warm day! Because of the sweetness contained in some ingredients, I omitted the sugar, although I did use the drained juice from the canned oranges & pineapple instead of 1 c. cold water. My whole family enjoyed this "slightly tart" orange dessert. The OJ concentrate makes it distinctively different from "orange jello.""
"This is delicious. I forgot to use the orange juice in the jello part, but otherwise followed the recipe and liked the orange and fruit contrasting with the pudding topping. Delicious."
"Excellent!! and Easy! Very tasy and colorful. I will defintely make this again. I did not make the light version--just used regular ingredients."
"Easy - made it for a graduation party - Everyone raved about it."
"very easy to make has a nice taste"
"I am going to make this for a Potluck for Sunday. I found the same recipe except it says a 3 oz. pkg of Jello. Sounds really good."
"I haven't made this yet but wonder why you need to add sugar?"
"I had this recipe at a party it is excellent did not even know it was sugar free.I printed the recipe out but I see it says 1 pkg of sugar free instant vanilla pudding. It does not come in one ounce package."