Tart Cranberry Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge chicken. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
In the same skillet, add water, cranberries, brown sugar, nutmeg and, if desired, vinegar. Cook and stir until the berries burst, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is tender, basting occasionally with the sauce. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Place chicken in freezer containers; top with sauce. If desired, place rice in separate freezer containers. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water to chicken if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (calculated without vinegar and rice) equals 284 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 28 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.