Tart Cranberry Chicken
My husband loves chicken when it's nice and moist, like it is in this autumn recipe. I serve it over hot fluffy rice with a salad and warm rolls on the side. The ruby-red sauce has a tart cinnamony flavor.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, optional
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge chicken. In
- a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Brown the chicken on both
- sides. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add water, cranberries, brown sugar, nutmeg and
- vinegar if desired. Cook and stir until the berries burst, about 5
- minutes. Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer for 20-30
- minutes or until chicken is tender, basting occasionally with the
- sauce. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (calculated without vinegar and rice) equals 284 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium,