Tart Cherry Pie Recipe
"My aunt and I are diabetic," remarks Bonnie Johnson of DeKalb, Illinois. "We both enjoy this yummy, fruity pie...and our friends even request this dessert when they come to visit."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) pitted tart cherries
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free cherry gelatin
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1. Drain cherries, reserving juice; set cherries aside. In a large saucepan, combine cherry juice and dry pudding mix. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin powder and sweetener until dissolved. Stir in cherries; transfer to pastry shell. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 176 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 293 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC