Tart Cherry Lattice Pie Recipe
Whenever my mom is invited to a party or potluck, everyone requests her homemade double-crust fruit pies. In the summer, she uses fresh, tart cherries for this recipe. I love a slice topped with vanilla ice cream. — Pamela Eaton, Monclova, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine sugar and flour; stir in cherries and extract.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling; dot with butter.
- 3. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1-1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Cover edge loosely with foil.
- 4. Bake 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 508 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 238 mg sodium, 88 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC