- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries, drained
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Combine the egg and cherries; add to dry ingredients. Stir until well combined and batter no longer appears dry. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm over cake. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Tart Cherry Cake(2)
Sort By :
I wanted to make this, but couldn't find a can of cherries, only cherries in produce, so I skipped it and went for a can of jellied cranberries instead. The recipe might turn out like that, if I were more experienced as a cook. The taste was just fine, but the cake was too crumbly and I had to serve it in bowls with the sauce poured over it. The sauce tastes great, but mine also didn't really thicken. Overall, I gave an average rating, but this could improve. Also I wasn't able to use a can of cherries, so I'll post again if I make it again with the right fruit.
Phenomenal cake! The butter sauce is rich and makes this dessert taste like you ordered it from an expensive & exclusive restaurant. It's super easy to make, which makes it all the more special.