We have a long growing season here, so we find many ways to use fresh vegetables from our garden. This is a Southern favorite in my family that is both easy and flavorful.
Recommended: 66 Recipes to Make This Spring
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 4 small cucumbers, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- In a 1-1/2-qt. bowl, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, pepper and salt. Place pickling spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to vinegar mixture.
- Stir in the cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Discard spice bag before serving. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Tart 'n' Tangy Vegetables in Country Extra May 2006, p51
Reviews for Tart 'n' Tangy Vegetables
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 2, 2016
"My mom used to make a recipe similar to this and I have been searching for something like it and this is it - I am so happy - it is just delicious"