Tarragon Vegetable Salad Recipe
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound small red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and cooked
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces and cooked
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 3 to 4 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1-1/4 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Lettuce leaves and tomato wedges, optional
- 1. Cook the turnips in boiling water for 8-10 minutes or until tender; drain. Place in a large bowl; add potatoes, beans, peas and carrots. In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, onions, tarragon, parsley, mustard, salt if desired and pepper; pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. If desired, serve on lettuce and top with a tomato wedge. Yield: 16 servings.
One 1/2-cup serving (calculated with cider vinegar and without salt, lettuce and tomato) equals 108 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable.