Tarragon Poached Chicken Recipe
A delectable sauce starring Dijon mustard and white wine tops off the poached-to-perfection chicken in Herbert Bray's delightful meal-in-one-dinner. "People who taste this unique dish can't believe I found it in a collection of lighter recipes," he reports from Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Carrots and onions are cooked with the chicken and round out the meal nicely.
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add chicken; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to a serving dish.
- Combine cornstarch, water, mustard and browning sauce if desired until smooth; whisk into poaching liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over chicken and vegetables; sprinkle with parsley. Serve over hot cooked rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tarragon Poached Chicken in Light & Tasty April/May 2004, p11
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Tarragon Poached Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >