Tarragon Green Beans Recipe
A mixture of celery, onion and green pepper adds a spark to this simple green bean side dish from Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana. It's pleasantly seasoned with dried tarragon and lemon-pepper, so its flavor complements most main-dish meats.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- Pepper to taste
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the beans, water and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in the tarragon, lemon-pepper and pepper. Drain beans; add vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving equals 74 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 274 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC