Tarragon-Almond Green Beans Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil until onions are tender. Add the vinegar, sugar, tarragon and salt. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Drain beans; add to onion mixture. Cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 93 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.