Tapioca Pudding in Pumpkins Recipe
Dinner guests will love this unique dessert. If you really love pumpkin, scoop some out along with each spoonful of pudding. —Lesli Dustin, Nibley, UT
- 6 small pie pumpkins (4- to 6-inch diameter)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Wash each pumpkin; cut a 2-in. circle around stem. Remove top and discard. Remove loose fibers and seeds from the inside and discard or save seeds for roasting. Sprinkle insides of pumpkins with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Place in a shallow roasting pan; add 1 in. of water to pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, tapioca, salt and milk. Let stand for 5 minutes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into pumpkins. Cover and bake 15-30 minutes longer or until pumpkins are tender. Sprinkle with roasted pumpkin seeds if desired and remaining cinnamon. Yield: 6 servings.
1 filled pumpkin (calculated without pumpkin seeds) equals 566 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 113 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC