Tapioca Pudding in Pumpkins Recipe
Dinner guests will love this unique dessert. If you really love pumpkin, scoop some out along with each spoonful of pudding. —Lesli Dustin, Nibley, UT
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:6 servings
- 6 small pie pumpkins (4- to 6-inch diameter)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Wash each pumpkin; cut a 2-in. circle around stem. Remove top and discard. Remove loose fibers and seeds from the inside and discard or save seeds for roasting. Sprinkle insides of pumpkins with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Place in a shallow roasting pan; add 1 in. of water to pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, tapioca, salt and milk. Let stand for 5 minutes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into pumpkins. Cover and bake 15-30 minutes longer or until pumpkins are tender. Sprinkle with roasted pumpkin seeds if desired and remaining cinnamon. Yield: 6 servings.
1 filled pumpkin (calculated without pumpkin seeds) equals 566 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 113 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC