"Be prepared for any guests to ask for the recipe for this spicy steak. I've handed copies to people from Maine to California!" Lorna Byrd, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 1-1/2 pounds)
- 6 slices Havarti cheese
- 1/3 cup salsa verde
- In a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, combine the first five ingredients; grind until mixture becomes a fine powder. Rub over both sides of steak.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 8-11 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Top with cheese; cover and grill for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Top with salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Taos Steak in Taste of Home August/September 2009, p29
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Taos Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review