Tangy Watermelon Salad Recipe
- 14 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the watermelon and onions. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, vinegar, honey, red pepper and seasonings; slowly whisk in the oil.
- 2. Pour over watermelon mixture; toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 16 servings.
3/4 cup: 147 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein
Reviews for Tangy Watermelon Salad
"I thought the combination of ingredients was a little odd, but this got great reviews so I tried it for a potluck lunch. I followed the directions and did let it sit overnight as suggested for the flavors to blend. We did not think the combination of watermelon, oil, onions, orange juice, pepper, etc really worked. It was not a big hit."
"Just made this for our Memorial Day cookout, and it was delicious! I also let it sit overnight for the flavors to blend, really good and refreshing, also a nice alternative to the usual macaroni salad, potato salad sides. Will be making this more often!"
"Absolutely delicious - a real hit! Left it in the fridge overnight, and then drew off a lot of the liquid before serving. Can't wait to make again."
"This is very good! Make sure you let it refrigerate longer than the two hours it calls for. Not so tangy unless it chills for several hours, but so good with the onions!"
"I didn't try to measure out the watermelon; I just threw it all in a large roasting pan as I was making it for a large group. I sprinkled punk Himalayan salt over the watermelonI added celery & cucumber, and I think next time I would add clementines as well. I think I'd also ditch the veg oil part of the dressing and add either some lemon or lime juice. Even so, it was a big hit!"
"Sounds delicious, tho 14 cups sounds like a strange measurement!"
"I made this for a family picnic. It was delicious. I was glad there were leftovers to bring home so I can keep eating it!!!"
"this would also b delicious with just a little jalapeno, some cilantro, and fresh lime juice."
"This is a great twist on just plain watermelon. My whole family loved it!"
"DELICIOUS!!!! I made this for my familys Easter potluck BBQ, and it was a TOTAL HIT!!! Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. I didnt use exact measurments, just one seedless melon, a red onion, a red bell pepper and like 4 scallions. My mom raved about it so much that 3 people for her work asked for the recipe! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!! will deff be making again!"