The refreshing blend of watermelon, red onions and a splash of citrus always does me proud at picnics and potlucks. I like to prepare it a day ahead so the flavors have a chance to blend, I use the rind as a colorful serving bowl. If you're short on time, simply substitute any bottled citrus vinaigrette. —Alisha Duncan, Blanchard, Oklahoma
- 14 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon and onions. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, vinegar, honey, red pepper and seasonings; slowly whisk in the oil.
- Pour over watermelon mixture; toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Watermelon Salad in Country Woman May/June 2006, p48
Reviews for Tangy Watermelon Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review