I'm a health fitness specialist and personal trainer, so I know how important it is to make smart food choices to fuel my day. These fast and filling tostadas are packed with lean protein, fiber and a good dose of veggies. Have them any night of the week. —Julie Huntington, Memphis, Tennessee
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 16 tostada shells
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook turkey, mushrooms, pepper and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking turkey into crumbles; drain. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
Stir in beans, salsa, green chilies, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper sauce. Cook, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Add cheese and corn; heat through. Spread about 1/3 cup filling over each tostada shell. Sprinkle with lettuce, tomatoes and cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve on tostada shells with toppings. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Turkey Tostadas in Light & Tasty June/July 2004, p29
Reviews for Tangy Turkey Tostadas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review