Tangy Tomato Slices
Fresh garden tomatoes are a treat at a picnic or family gathering. The zesty flavor of this dish is a crowd-pleaser, and it's a colorful addition to the buffet. I'm grateful to the friend who gave me the recipe.
-Lois Fetting, Nelson, Wisconsin
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 6 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid, mix first nine
- ingredients. Layer onion and tomatoes in a shallow serving dish.
- Drizzle dressing over the vegetables; cover and refrigerate for
- several hours. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 190 calories, 19 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.