Brown sugar, garlic and ginger provide the traditional sweet-sour flavor in this chicken medley. "The aroma is heavenly after working outside all day," says Milton Schutz of Pandora, Ohio.
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the carrots, green pepper and onion. Top with chicken. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Place pineapple over chicken. Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, bouillon, salt, ginger and garlic powder to pineapple juice; pour over pineapple. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking juices. Cook 30 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened, stirring once. Serve with rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Tender Chicken in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p43
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Tangy Tender Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review