Tangy Tender Beef Brisket
“This fork-tender dish will keep your kitchen cool in hot summer months.” —Stephanie Strong, Mt. Juliet, Tennessee
7 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1 cup cola
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Cut brisket in half and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine chili
- sauce, cola and soup mix; pour over brisket. Cover and cook on low
- for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm. Skim fat from cooking
- juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the
- pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Thinly slice meat across the grain; serve with gravy.
- Yield: 7 servings (2 cups gravy).
Nutritional Facts: 5 ounces cooked beef with 1/4 cup gravy equals 309 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 940 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 40 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.