- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 batch of 30 meatballs (frozen or thawed)
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Hot cooked rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside. Add water to juice if needed to measure 1 cup; pour into a large skillet. Add 1/3 cup water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch; stir until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Add the pineapple, meatballs and green pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Tangy Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs
"I like it with homemade meatballs instead of frozen pre made."
"This is a regular meal in my house. Everyone loves it. Very simple, very quick, great flavor. You can get away with reducing the brown sugar if you want to, which I usually do. I don't usually have pepper on hand and that's fine too."
"This is one of my favorite meals to fix. It is easy and has a wonderful flavor."
"I thought this was the good recipe I got from TOH years ago. It's not. This should be called Candied Meatballs & listed as a dessert. Absolutely disgusting! A waste of perfectly good food. Much, much too sweet even after tripling the vinegar. Downright nasty."
"I used Italian meat balls, not so good but the sauce was amazing. Im going to try it with chicken or pork soon. Soooo yummy!"
"This was so scrumptious!!!! My husband absolutely loved it and said to make sure to incorporate into one of our regular dinners. It was also a nice, light dinner. Will definitely make this again! Not to mention, it is super simple to throw together. Yum!"
"I made this recipe for a party. I am allergic to pinapple so I substituted canned peaches - YUM. There wasn't a meatball left in the pan! I put the sauce together the night before the party - it was so easy. The day of the party I tossed in the meatballs and baked the whole thing as directed. This is a wonderful recipe and I will definately make it again."
"This was quick, easy and tasty. Great to make on weeknights."