Tangy Spareribs Recipe
I still remember coming home from church to the smell of these ribs baking in the oven alongside baked potatoes. They have an old-fashioned homemade barbecue sauce that clings to every morsel. —Judy Clark, Elkhart, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 4 to 5 pounds pork spareribs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1. Cut ribs into serving-size pieces; place in a shallow roasting pan, bone side down. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally; remove from the heat.
- 3. Drain fat from roasting pan. Pour sauce over ribs. Bake 45-60 minutes longer or until ribs are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 318 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 478 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC